Flutter is an extremely popular cross-platform framework that has already stolen the hearts of thousands of developers around the world and is chosen as the main solution for a plethora of businesses from various industries. The framework was created by Google to build apps for desktop, mobile, and web platforms. Flutter was released in December 2018 and in a year, it has overshadowed React Native in the means of popularity on StackOverflow and GitHub. Can you imagine this?
Top 3 Flutter advantages
Due to Flutter’s hot reload feature, the development team can immediately see the changes they’ve made in the application. Moreover, the development speed isn’t affected by features extension or bug fixing. Developers can make modifications in the code in less than one second without losing the current application version.
Flutter applications are built with a simple object-oriented programming language called Dart. This SDK has its own ready-made widgets that look native for both, iOS and Android applications. Therefore, Dart compiles into the native code without any need to access OEM widgets (as Flutter has its own). In simple words, Flutter’s engine communicates directly with native modules which guarantees a stable and native performance at high speed.
First of all, Flutter is a free open-source development kit that is compatible with different platforms and provides great community support and large amounts of documentation. Secondly, as the development team doesn’t spend time writing different codes for different operating systems, and takes advantage of widgets and a hot reload feature, it means reduced development time and budget for businesses.
If you want to dive deeper into Flutter features, we’ve written a great article on the performance comparison of Flutter, React Native, and Native.
How to hire Flutter developers?
Depending on the specifics of your business and project requirements, you can hire an in-house team, freelance developers, or a dedicated team.
If you want to open your own software development company or are about to launch a large project that demands constant updates and full-time post-development support, you might think about building your own in-house development team.
The advantages of this model are:
- The development team is going to work exclusively on your project, concentrating all the time and effort on it. Being at the reach of your hand, they’ll immediately respond to every request and remark.
- You gain constant control over the development process. Anytime you need an update - just go and talk to any member of the team.
- Most frequently members of the in-house team belong to the same culture, share the same language, and have the same view on the working process. It helps to omit misunderstandings in the development process.
- The in-house model is very expensive in comparison to freelance and outsourcing. A business owner literally pays for everything from the recruitment process to insurance, and office equipment.
- There is no guarantee that the person on whose recruitment and training you’ve spent a heck of a lot of money, won’t leave the company in a month.
- Unless there are a few projects to develop, you’ll pay for downtime. Post-launch activities are not enough to fill the time of in-house developers.
If your project is relatively small and you expect to accomplish it within a short time period, you can think of hiring freelance developers.
Advantages of hiring freelancers:
- Hiring freelance developers is not expensive. The only costs a business owner has to cover are the costs for work that has been done.
- The search is not limited by a talent pool of a certain country. You can choose the best talent for your project.
- Freelancers usually live in a different country or even a different part of the world. If you don’t make sure that their level of English is good enough to maintain communication with, there may occur a language barrier.
- Usually, you don’t sign any contract, consequently, you have no guarantee that your project will be finished on time or finished at all.
Hiring a dedicated team
Outsourcing has been remaining an international trend for a while and according to the forecasts will proceed to expand for the years to come. The model is convenient for businesses of any size and direction.
Advantages of hiring a dedicated team:
- Outsourcing is much less expensive than hiring an in-house team. First of all, you don’t pay for the recruitment process and office rent. Secondly, in some countries, developers charge much less than in others. For example, the average rate of a Ukrainian programmer ranges from $25 to $50 per hour while an American programmer or Western European will charge at least twice as much.
- When you begin cooperation, certain responsibilities are shifted to your vendor. Having profound expertise in their field, they can assess and mitigate potential risks.
- You get the ability to concentrate exclusively on your core business. A vendor controls all the technical and organizational processes within the project’s timespan.
- The ability to choose a dedicated team that is composed of experienced developers with the best development skills.
- If the culture of the outsourced team differs from yours, you may face misunderstandings in the cooperation process. Also, make sure that developers’ English is good enough to understand each other.
- You won’t be able to control the development process every moment. Make sure you arrange weekly (or daily) meetings with your dedicated team to stay aware of everything that is happening.
Where can you hire Flutter developers?
As soon as you’ve chosen a cooperation model suitable for your project, start searching for candidates. Here are some helpful resources for each model where you can find Flutter developers.
- Personal recommendations
- Developers forums
Interview questions to hire Flutter developers
- Why have you chosen Flutter over other platforms?
- Explain the difference between hot reload and hot restart.
- How many types of widgets are there in Flutter?
- What is the difference between a stateless widget and stateful widget?
- Give the details of the stateful widget lifecycle.
- How can you reduce widget rebuild?
- What types of tests can you perform?
- Explain the different types of Streams.
- When do you use a profile mode?
- How is debug mode different from profile mode?
- What are keys in Flutter and when do we use it?
- What is the use of Await?
- What can you tell about Tweet animation?
- Explain the release mode and its usage.
- What is the difference between unit and UI test cases?
A face-to-face or online meeting will also give you a chance to check your candidates’ personal qualities, communication skills, stress-resistance and make sure that they are the people you want to have in your team.
Summing up, an in-house team is a good option if you’re planning to launch your own software development company. In case you want to hire Flutter developers for the needs of your enterprise or startup, we would recommend considering the dedicated team model.
For further guidance or consultations feel free to contact inVerita. We are one of the first Flutter adopters in Ukraine who know how to take advantage of Flutter’s customization power, rich motion, and advanced UI. Let’s Flutter it together!